Laurie

Not easily would be an accurate answer I think.

I almost do the same as you.

To represent a mechanical part on the SCH (include in BOM) you really to
use SCH symbols, even a simple one and also a refdes and comment as you
say.
I tend to hide the comment as it is the longest string, after placing
the SCH symbol, leaving the RefDes only, so it is a bit more tidy.

For screws, nut, bolt, washer all that is need is a dot on the PCB. You
could use a graphical symbol for easy read on the PCB but I think that
is more effort than needed.

You can find an example here of what I do, simple heatsink with 2 x PCB
pins, screw, washer & nut. I do not think it is too untidy.

http://www.proteluser.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=40

There are other ways to do it, but I found this is the easiest as it
fits better with how Protel was intended to work. Just make sure you
never draw a part footprint which is graphic only and try to set origin
to centre, this command only works when primitives exist on electrical
layers.

Best Regards

John A. Ross

RSD Communications ltd