At 06:52 PM 5/4/2004, Leonard Gabrielson wrote:
Recently I've noticed that the autorouter is taking some real liberties with the way it routes! i.e. traces going in a diagonal direction for a LONG way! I vaguely remember seeing a place to set this in the routing rules, but of course can't find it now ;-)

Can someone tell me where to adjust the rule so it doesn't make diagonal traces?

What version? 99SE, the router has few options to set. The various passes are preset to do different types of routing. The first passes will stay close to the layer settings (perhaps this is what you recall, the Routing Layers Rule allows the setting of layer bias), but then the later passes will do whatever they need to do to complete routes.

What you got against diagonal traces? I presume that they are diagonal traces going against the layer bias (or else you have a layer bias set for the diagonal, so *of course* they will be long!), but they'll only be added after the router didn't find another way. When it is optimizing the routing in a manufacturing pass, it might eliminate some vias and at the same time shorten routing paths by creating a diagonal trace....

DXP, I don't know.