John A. Ross [Design] wrote:

Personally I never liked to use footprints I have not optimised for the
process they will go through, but that's me.

Actually, let me put it a different way: Can you afford to use a footprint out of a library? If the footprint is incorrect, you can easily loose several thousand dollars in having to turn the board, not to mention the market cost of the delay.

I have been there, done that, got burned to the tune of over $10K by a bad footprint in the Protel library back in version 2.8 days. Since then, I have never used a single footprint that I did not design myself. It is just as quick to design it yourself as it is to take someone else's footprint and check it thoroughly.

Hamid