At 01:39 PM 5/17/2004, Hamid Wasti wrote:
I have been there, done that, got burned to the tune of over $10K by a bad footprint in the Protel library back in version 2.8 days. Since then, I have never used a single footprint that I did not design myself. It is just as quick to design it yourself as it is to take someone else's footprint and check it thoroughly.

Mr. Wasti certainly has a point; however, it would be possible to have libraries which have been validated by the community. Every designer can make mistakes; at a certain point the ability to use publicly validated footprints (technology-appropriate) would reduce error rates over that from individual creation and checking, no matter how obsessive.

(Note that *taking someone else's footprint and checking it thoroughly" could be more likely to result in a good footprint than simply creating it yourself. It is easier to find other people's errors than to find your own.)

The list [EMAIL PROTECTED] was created to explore how to create such a community library. A fair number of people indicated interest and subscribed, but nothing has been done.

Let's put it this way. I was elected chair of the Protel Users Association, but if I have to define and drive every initiative, very little is going to get done.... I have ideas, some good, some not so good. Occasionally I can take an idea and take it some distance to completion, but more often nothing happens unless someone picks up the ball and runs with it.