The number one reason for losing the ability to open either PCB or
Schematic files within Protel is file association problems. Protel's
authors didn't like the idea of sharing, (MIO) so they conveniently
demanded sole ownership of the file extensions .pcb and .sch

You have likely lost the ".pcb" file association to some other program
recently installed.

Navigate as follows:
My computer->right click->Explore: Tools: Folder Options: File Types

To check and/or modify the file type association.

aj