Steve

Might not help but, have you tried exporting the DDB contents to a folder, create a
new project DDB
with a different name in it, using the windows file system (link) instead?

My memory is fuzzy but I can recall an issue where it seemed the structure of the DB
got damaged,
could be repaired and compacted as a separate operation but would cause errors and
would either not
compact at close, or crash at close when trying to compact.

Worth a try

John