From: Brooks,Bill [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Tuesday, June 29, 2004 11:12 AM
To: 'Protel EDA Forum'
Subject: Re: [PEDA] Licenses

Yes it is interesting, since PCB design magazine had indicated that there
were about 26,000 designers/engineers subscribed to PCD in the whole world
before it became PCD&M magazine... Having 3 times the number of designers
out there using the software seems a bit of a stretch.

I tend to think the number would be closer to the actual paid maintenance
numbers with a small percentage not active or unpaid due to financial
troubles. Also considering the number of people I know personally that have
dropped from the ranks as designers and taken up carpentry or handyman work
or become managers at Wall Mart, I would think the number of designers has
shrunk rather than grown.

I hope there are that many designers out there Tom, then maybe there will
still be someone to sell cad tools to in the future... :)

Thanks though for the info... I expect they skew it a bit... but that's to
be expected. They are typically very optimistic in marketing.

 It would be interesting to see what Altium thinks the market is like verses
what Cadence thinks etc...  I'll see if I can get an estimate of the number
of designers out there from my sources again... who knows it may be better
than I thought....

Bill Brooks
PCB Design Engineer , C.I.D., C.I.I.
Tel: (760)597-1500 Ext 3772 Fax: (760)597-1510
http://pcbwizards.com