..[message clipped]

Opinion from where I sit.

A) FPGAs are cool but from the work we do as a design consultant they are
not an overwhelmingly huge part of what we see. Maybe we're out of step with
the trends. Have to admit we are replacing an expensive FPGA with a less
costly DSP in a project we're doing.

B) The people who make and sell FPGA chips have a low-cost tools strategy to
help promote their chips. I would worry that placing a lot of emphasis on
FPGAs, for an independent CAD supplier like Altium/Protel, might be not such
a hot strategy. Wonder if this might be similar to the issues faced by
microprocessor emulator companies. (Altium should know from Tasking.) The
proliferation of JTAG emulators and low-cost hardware and software tools
from the microprocessor chip vendors--often given away for free to large
customers-- has given the independents a hard time.

Should Altium be pushing FPGAs as much as they seem to be? Don't know....

Best regards,

Kerry Berland
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Silicon Engines