[snip]

I do thing Altium/Protel are loosing their way. FPGA's are nice, but in the
end they are just a component used in some of the designs I do.

I see FPGA's in almost every design I see.  I also see diff paired routing
in almost pcb design. I don't see how 3rd party software for FPGA's can
compete with OEM software from Xylinx, Altera, etc.  Without direct input
and licensing the software will always be behind in development and probably
more error prone.
 Just my observation, since I am not an FPGA designer

Mike Reagan