On Wed, 21 Jul 2004 09:40:27 +0100, John wrote:

>> Apologies for the double post, but I just read Page 30 of the
>> manual a little closer and it mentions this linking process,
>> but doesn't tell you how to do it!!!

>I thought it did work with PDF using WFS or DDB as long as you did not
>export it again (it was not readable by Acrobat anymore complained it
>was corrupt).

I can store and link to PDFs in either kind of database. I have full
Acrobat 6 Pro installed. Acrobat reader probably does not provide the
required OLE functionality to support this.

In a WFS database Acrobat 6 can't directly open stored PDFs, link or full.

>From memory this issue was because of the header appended to the top of
>the PDF file by the access database system used by 99SE when it was
>imported/linked, it overwites the expected %PDF header, and if you
>exported it again, Acrobat seen a different header than %PDF and deemed
>the file unreadable.

It isn't an access header. In the 99SE database 'foreign' files are stored
as OLE objects which may also be known as scrap files. Such files may have
a standard header, I don't know.

The actual format of these files is up to the associated OLE application.
An OLE application associated with jpeg image editing may decide to store
the image in full colour uncompressed format. I have seen 100k jpegs occupy
tens of megabytes when imported into P99SE.

Microsoft Office applications appear to be able to open OLE scrap files
directly. Acrobat can't and I haven't found any other OLE application that
can.

Cheers, Terry.