CM\540560EN.doc PE 346.886/REV
?? ?? ??
Committee on Foreign Affairs
For Mr Olli REHN
Commissioner designate for
PE 346.886/REV 2/3 CM\540560EN.doc
1. What is your assessment of the provisions and instruments in the Constitutional
How do you intend to reconcile the inter-governmental nature of these provisions with
role to be played by the European Commission, the European Parliament and the European
Court of Justice?
How do you envisage the nature of your own relations as Commissioner with the High
Representative for CFSP / future Minister for Foreign Affairs of the European Union?
2. What is your opinion regarding the appearance by the Heads of Commission delegations
before the Foreign Affairs Committee? Do you support their hearings in our Committee
both prior to and, whenever possible, during their appointment to their posts? Would
view this as a major step towards a future European Union Foreign Service?
3. Are you willing to accept the recommendations adopted by the European Parliament and
take action on their comments and suggestions? Is the Commission prepared to develop
new ways to involve the European Parliament earlier then up to now in the planning and
decision making process? As you know, the European Parliament is one of the arms of the
budgetary authority and the powers recognised in the budgetary procedure include
Parliament's responsibility to formulate remarks and comments beside the budgetary
Will you take these remarks and comments into consideration, in a binding manner? How
can the implementation of EU (pre-accession) aid be accelerated?
4. The security environment in the strategically important region of the Balkans
fragile. How can the EU further help to promote stability and prosperity of all Balkan
countries in the economic, political and social areas while insisting on the need for
cooperate fully with the International Criminal Tribunal for the Former Yugoslavia
5. The outcome of the recent presidential elections in Serbia is regarded as very
could the EU help the Serbian authorities to seize the opportunity to revitalise the
political and economic reforms, to promote reconciliation with their neighbours and to
Should the EU - with a view to the different state of political and economic
develop a more differentiated policy approach for the Western Balkans?
6. Do you assess the current enlargement as being a success? Do you think that any
enlargement of the EU should be handled in a similar way ?
7. Bulgaria has already closed all negotiation chapters and is ready to sign an
Treaty with the EU. Romania is still behind schedule to close negotiations, but is
accede to the EU at the same time. How will you ensure that the accession procedure
candidate country adheres to the principle of that candidate country being judged on
merits, rather than being judged by any comparison to the performance of other
CM\540560EN.doc 3/3 PE 346.886/REV
8. Could the planned opening of negotiations with Croatia in spring 2005 delay the
9. How do you foresee the future enlargement of the European Union? What are the
which have, in your view, the vocation to become members, regardless of the time it
take for them to comply with the Copenhagen criteria. Should the fulfilment of the
criteria is a pre-condition for negotiations? How far may the European Union's borders
10. The European Council will decide in December 2004 on the basis of a Commission
recommendation, whether Turkey complies with the political Copenhagen criteria. If
Turkey is found to meet these political criteria fully in practice, only then accession
negotiations can be opened in 2005. The Commission assumes therefore an enormous
responsibility and its recommendation is very crucial. Can in your view the Commission
proceed in establishing the most accurate assessment of the situation in Turkey and
possible political pressure?
11. How does the Commissioner see the development and evolution of the situation in
in the near future? What role should the Commission play in the resolution of the
problem and the reunification of the island?
12. How do you propose to fulfil the EU's commitments to the promotion of human rights
democracy that already exist in agreements that the EU has with third countries? What
will you take to strengthen the human rights dimension of EC assistance to governments
third countries? What actions will you take to ensure that human rights are
into all areas of the EU's external relations, including in the field of Justice and
[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~-->
$9.95 domain names from Yahoo!. Register anything.
Sageata Albastra e cea mai mare tzeapa a transportului public!
Yahoo! Groups Links
<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to: