'They can blow me up with them'

ALEX DOBROTA
The Gazette

Sunday, May 29, 2005

Gabriel Resources' project could endanger some of the world's best preserved
Roman archeological sites, European scholars and academics say.
If it goes ahead, the Toronto-based company's project would eradicate ancient
mine works, temples and monuments dating from 2,000 years ago, they say.
"This makes European community scholars very nervous," said Geza Alfoeldy, a
history professor at the University of Heidelberg in Germany.
"If cultural patrimony can be destroyed like that, it would create a dangerous
precedent."
The Roman mine works have gained worldwide attention with the discovery of wax
tablets that offer insight into the Roman way of life, said Alfoeldy. Similar
galleries exist in Spain, but the Rosia Montana sites are better preserved, he
said.
In 2002, the German professor initiated a Europe-wide campaign in which 1,000
professors and scholars signed a letter asking the Romanian government not to
permit the mine project.
But the request has fallen on deaf years. The Romanian Ministry of Culture has
issued certificates releasing most of the area of its patrimonial value. Three
of the four proposed exploitation pits have been deemed of no archeological
importance.
"This is a real scandal," said Ioan Piso, head of Transylvania's museum of
history.
"They've discharged 1,100 hectares after they explored only 2.2 hectares."
Mircea Angelescu, the government official who signed the discharges, stood by
his decision.
When questioned about the patrimonial value of the area, he absolved himself of
personal responsibility.
"The fact that I'm a doctor in archeology has no importance to the matter,"
said Angelescu.
"They could have put a sculptor to do my job. Me, I just sign administrative
documents. But I don't do anything without being backed by the experts."
The experts, in this case, were a team of archeologists paid by the company, as
part of the $7 million Gabriel spent in archeological and ethnological studies
of the area.
"We have been very diligent in following the laws and regulations," said Simon
Lawrence, corporate vice-president of Gabriel.
The company promised not to carry out mining activities in a protected area.
Gabriel will also pay for the restoration of a mining gallery and the building
of a museum.
Angelescu welcomed these commitments, saying Romania could not have financed
such archeological activities without the company's investment.
Piso begged to differ.
"Maybe we don't have the money now," he said.
"But that doesn't mean we won't have the money for archeological ventures in 50
years. There are hundreds of kilometres of galleries that remain unexplored to
this date in Rosia Montana."
Andrei Gruber, an 19-year-old Rosia Montana native, and an archeology student,
knows that. He started exploring the galleries with a flashlight when he was
six. To find his way back, he would leave behind a trail of rope.
At one point, he remembered seeing the trace of four fingers in the rock.
"My father was a miner, my grandfather was a miner, my great-grandfather was a
miner; I find a part of myself down there," he said.
"If ever they start their project, I'll tie myself up to one of those
galleries, so they can blow me up with them."
 The Gazette (Montreal) 2005

http://us.click.yahoo.com/OCfFmA/UOnJAA/E2hLAA/DXOolB/TM