I also cannot speak for Google as a whole, or even the open source
department.  However, my personal opinion is that I would like users of
Protocol Buffers to have the freedom to use any license they want.  It would
be pretty disappointing to me if some project was unable to use Protocol
Buffers simply because the license was not compatible.