Actually, for the protobuf-net code-generator, I've gone down a
different route. I load the binary descriptor, and then serialize it
to xml. I then run this xml through an xslt transformation, and voila!
code. This has a couple of nice features:

* very easy (in theory) to add a whole new language (especially if it
isn't white-space dependent; I'll admit xslt has a few kinks with
whitespace...)
* very easy to allow the end-user to make minor modifications to the
generated code (this probably fits the protobuf-net meta-data based
model more than it fits the "compiled for speed" explicit model).

Still; if anybody is thinking of adding a language, they're more than
welcome to borrow any/all of it...

Marc