Okay, I spoke too soon on the first bug.
 From http://code.google.com/apis/protocolbuffers/docs/encoding.html :
"If you use int32 or int64 as the type for a negative number, the
resulting varint is always ten bytes long – it is, effectively, treated
like a very large unsigned integer."

So it is clear that protoc is always casting 32 bit values to 64 bit
values before sending them onto the wire and this is documented.  I
apologize for not double checking this before posting my previous message.

My decoder handles this by discarding the excess high bits, so my reader
code is fine.

My writer will need to be changed to match the documentation, since it
only writes five bytes for negative 32-bit values.

Cheers,
   Chris