Thanks Kenton.  Yes, I read the Google style guide a while ago and was
thoroughly entertained by the section on (the non-usage of) exceptions
at Google ;-)

Are there any performance implications of compiling generated code
with -DNDEBUG?  If not, I think it would be easy for me to add #define
NDEBUG to my generated code before the #include of the protobuf
headers.

Your other suggestion (generating an IsInitialized() call before the
serialization) may work better in that it would allow me to keep the
error message from getting leaked out to stderr.  I will look into
that as well.  Ideally, I would like the underlying code to:

1) never abort()
2) never print anything to stderr

-dave