Kenton Varda wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 29, 2009 at 4:14 AM, Sushil Shelly <skshe...@gmail.com
> <mailto:skshe...@gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     I need to upgrade a linux installation of protocol buffers. I have
>     2.0..3 and need to move up to use 2.1.0 - is there a set procedure
>     to do this?
>
> You can just install it normally.  You may also want to recompile any
> apps based on it, but this is not strictly necessary.  Although
> different versions of libprotobuf.so are not binary-compatible (C++
> sadly makes compatibility too difficult to achieve), we use libtool's
> version numbering to make sure that binary-incompatible versions of
> libprotobuf do not overwrite each other.  So, any binaries you compiled
> against the old version will continue to use the old version at runtime.
>
> If you want to uninstall the old version, then run "make uninstall" from
> the same directory where you you ran "make install" to install it.

Everything Kenton says above is, of course, true. Additionally, if you
happen to be using Ubuntu, we keep up to date .debs of all the protobuf
stuff in the Drizzle PPA (since we use them pretty heavily ourselves)

http://launchpad.net/~drizzle-developers/+archive/ppa

> BTW, 2.2.0 will be out in the next week or two.

A little off-topic - but do you have a cutoff date for patches to get in
to that? I've still got some Sun Studio issues I've been working on a
patch for that I'd love to be in 2.2.0...

Monty