Hi Kenton,
Thanks for the reply and for your amazing & tireless work on this library --
it's invaluable.

What you point out  is exactly the problem -- the ANT Fileset tag generates
a fully qualified path for the protocol buffers themselves, and so I have to
also fully qualify my "proto_path" as well to make it match. I can certainly
appreciate that it's hard to make the canonical paths work, but it does
strike me as non-intuitive -- I'm so used to being able to give any path to
a tool. If it's too hard, perhaps at least a warning to this effect in that
proto_path error message would help save future users time?

Right now the error it gives is:
"D:\Artem\wsl-trunk\wsl_root\src\com\wsl\CardioTrainer\weightloss\weightloss.proto:
File does not reside within any path specified using --proto_path (or -I).
 You must specify a --proto_path which encompasses this file."

Perhaps add: "Make sure the proto_path is an exact prefix of the file path
to the protocol buffer."

Hmm, I see your TODOs as well (in importer.cc), although the objection to
realpath strikes me as somewhat less serious than the common error I am
facing now. Your call of course. SVN has something for canonicalizing, but
it's not super-pretty.
http://www.google.com/codesearch/p?hl=en&sa=N&cd=1&ct=rc#yJqH5U7qc7c/subversion-1.4.0/subversion/libsvn_subr/path.c&q=svn_path_canonicalize&l=63

// TODO(kenton):  It would be nice to handle "..", e.g. so that we can
figure//   out that "foo/bar.proto" is inside "baz/../foo".  However,
if baz is a//   symlink or doesn't exist, then things get complicated,
and we can't//   actually determine this without investigating the
filesystem, probably//   in non-portable ways.  So, we punt.////
TODO(kenton):  It would be nice to use realpath() here except that
it//   resolves symbolic links.  This could cause problems if people
place//   symbolic links in their source tree.  For example, if you
executed://     protoc --proto_path=foo foo/bar/baz.proto//   then if
foo/bar is a symbolic link, foo/bar/baz.proto will canonicalize//   to
a path which does not appear to be under foo, and thus the compiler//
 will complain that baz.proto is not inside the --proto_path.

Thanks for the help,
Artem