Hi,

 I've looked at protocol buffers, and I've noted that there is no
support for arrays
 of values (double, integers). This is a significant drawback, for
example
 JSOM, HDF5 etc they all have this.

 One post suggested  that one should put an array  as one single
string in a field
 I've did this, and the performance  was very bad in Java and very
memory consuming
 (compare to the standard Java serialization).
 I've wrote 500 times the same array (10,000 double numbers ), and
after the array 500,
 my computer was out of memory,

 Secondly, all tutorials suggest that the file should be written at
once, i.e. at the end
 of the program, when the messages
 are filled. I want to write data to the disk in several steps. say I
want to write one record first (say, one array),
 then I want to append data to the existing file, and so on, this way
I will not need
  to keep all records in the computer memory. The merge mechanism
shown in the tutorial
 seems parses the old file
 first, and then add new record, and write a new file.

 Do I understand this correctly? If yes, then the protocol  buffers is
not too good for large data volumes,
 especially with numerical arrays

 best wishes, Sergei