Hi,

>  This is exactly what I've done before putting arrays into a string.
>  When I've implemented arrays via repeated fields, the program was
> even slower,
>  and the file size was too large (compare to Java serialization
> mechanism+ zip).

If you put the values in a string and do you own array management on
top as compared to using a repeated field with packed option, there
should not be a significant difference because it is essentially the
same.
Protobufs don't come with a compression, so if you compare the sizes,
you need to compare compressed Java serialization with compressed
proto serialization.

If you provide an example of what you want to do and what are your
current solutions you compare, people on this list might be able to
help.

-h