> AIUI, setuptools (and therefore pkg_resources) have not yet been ported
> to python3 yet. I believe there are discussions about including
> pkg_resources directly in python3 (perhaps via distutils), but the PEP
> seems withdrawn.

There is a python 3 compatible fork of setuptools with a new
pkg_resources.py i guess.
http://bitbucket.org/tarek/distribute/wiki/Home

By the way, I would like to see Python 3 support in google protocol
buffers too.
At the moment iam trying to build a python3 network protocol with the
python struct module. But thats not fun. Especially if you used
protocol buffers before :)