The plugin is perfectly usable. I stumbled upon it today during my
quest to integrate protobuf with a Maven project. Here's what
transpired:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1578456

Forget about the damn unit tests. Just get the plugin out into the
wild and end the suspense. It's good to go as is, at least in my
experience. You'll undoubtedly get more exposure and testing done once
it's out in the world and has gotten some real use.