A java.util.Date doesn't contain a timezone anyway - it's always UTC.

I've previous suggested (but made no progress on) a set of "common"
protocol buffer messages which could be used for various products,
with helper libraries for popular platforms providing conversions
between the messages and more idiomatic types (e.g. Date on Java,
DateTime/DateTimeOffset on .NET).

Jon