Actually I don't think we need DescriptorPool in Java.  DescriptorPool was
primarily written for the purpose of memory management, but Java handles
that for us.  If all you need is the mapping aspect, just build a
Map<String, ServiceDescriptor> yourself and use it.

True, in C++ there is the "global pool" which is automatically populated
with everything compiled into the binary.  This wouldn't work in Java
because classes are not loaded until they are first accessed, so there is no
way to populate this pool.  Besides, singletons are evil.  I honestly wish
that I'd never introduced the global pool in C++; it has lead to too many
subtle singleton problems.