Comment #11 on issue 66 by ken...@google.com: cannot install using easy_install

Could you try the following from protobuf-2.3.0/python:
python setup.py bdist_egg upload

Done.  Did it work?  How do I test it?

I think it's possible to change setup.py so that the egg
will include protoc (and any other files desired) but they'll reside in the egg.

I doubt it, considering that protoc is a native binary, and I don't want to maintain a setuptools-based build system for protoc parallel to the existing autotool-based
one.