Comment #12 on issue 66 by danhomerick: cannot install using easy_install

Done.  Did it work?  How do I test it?
Yes, it worked for Python 2.5 (which is the version you're using, presumably). It
didn't work for other versions of Python, however. Looking at the setuptools
documentation, I don't see that there's any way to "cross-compile" an egg for different versions of python. I assume you have no interest in maintaining multiple versions of python just for the purpose of building eggs, so could we try the
following:

From protobuf-2.3.0/python:
setup.py sdist bdist_egg upload

That should upload both an egg for whatever python version you're using, and a copy of the python source. Presumably, easy_install will still prefer a source dist on
PyPi over downloading the whole project from the google code page.