Should I see smaller serialization sizes going from 2.0.x to 2.3? I
was hoping to, and I compiled a sample message to compare
serialization sizes between versions. The size was the same. The
sample message has a number of different data types.

I notice in the changelog that string serialization performance is
improved in 2.3.1. Any idea when it will be released? And, what sort
of improvements have been observed?

Some of our payloads are large, e.g. 3 MB, and some of the messages
are composed mainly of strings. Improvements in serialization size
would be nice. I'm also thinking we should determine best practices
for message designs that would lead to optimal packing. But, will the
compiler mostly take care of that? Or will it help for me to determine
this even so? Have people already published best practices for message
design?

thanks

--
sheila