I'm actually working on an ANSI C implementation currently. I know protobuf-c
exists but there are a number of things that led me to start working on a
separate implementation. I would be interested in hearing what kind of things
you need.

I haven't had much experience with embedded systems. When you say you don't
have a malloc, presumably you get memory from a fixed address range in flash?
So you would want some way to define a custom allocator/deallocator to handle
allocations in the generated code. I believe the current protobuf-c has a way
to define custom allocators. Would the ability to override the default
malloc/free be adequate or is something else required?

I guess you also need to define your own realloc/memcpy etc.?

And what about things like stdint.h/stdlib.h/limits.h for types like uint8_t
and size_t and things like INT_MAX. Are these available?

Mike