Updates:

Comment #5 on issue 195 by ken...@google.com: common.h should not have "using namespace std;"

what if my application code wanted to use the
google::protobuf name space but not std?

You should never use "using namespace". :) Yes, it's hypocritical for me to say that, but Google has lots of code that was written before GCC actually moved STL into the "std" namespace. As a result, we had to stick "using namespace std" somewhere to avoid updating everything, and that in turn means that most Google code fails to
honor the "std" namespace at all.  :/

Strange bug. I'll try to reproduce it and use your work around when I do the next
release...