Comment #4 on issue 210 by aantono: Java code should detect incompatible runtime library version

Kenton, one of the reasons we've created the "shared" model artifact that is pre-compiled is to avoid re-generation of src files and recompiling them every time we run a build, which is done my many multiple projects. Is it possible to have protoc be smart about the files it re-generates, and just like javac, only "compile" the ones that have changed, not the ones that have already been generated before?

Also, since you've indicated that the versions of protobuf-java are not really intended to be backwards compatible to each other, would it be better to change the versioning scheme to be just sequential, instead of following the major.minor.patch convention? This way the build systems like Maven and Ivy would detect the incompatibility during build time and not allow something like 2.0.3 and 2.3.0 to be build-compatible.