On Fri, Jul 30, 2010 at 3:47 AM, David <david.kum...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all, I was finally able to write protocol buffers code over REST
> and did some comparison with XStream which we are currently uses.
> Everything seems great, only stumble with one thing.
>
> We have very large messages in one particular attributes, say
> something like this
>
> message Data {
>   optional string datavalue=1;
> }
> Datavalue above are extremely huge text messages. Size is 512kb - 5
> Mb.
>
> Protocol buffers deserialize just fine, with superb performance
> comparing to XStream. However, I notice when I send this message to
> wire (via REST), it took longer to get response. Always twice longer
> than XStream. I am thinking this might come from serializing time.

It might be something to do with the utf8 serialization of the string.
 There are two sets of byte arrays that need to be utf-encoded upon
serializing your message (costly especially for large strings like what you
have).
Try changing the field to ByteString. (optional bytes datavalue=1)

> From google documents, it says Protocol buffers is not designed to
> handle very large messages, although it can handle very large data
> set.
>
> I was wondering if anyone has some opinion or maybe solution from my
> case above?
>
> Thanks

When the cat is away, the mouse is alone.
- David Yu