Hello,

I don't manage to compile the java example.
I do as follows (I've tried with OSX and Cygwin, with the exact same
results):

Download protobuf-2.3.0.zip from: http://code.google.com/p/protobuf/
unzip protobuf-2.3.0.zip
cd protobuf-2.3.0
./configure
# ./configure --disable-shared    # in case of Cygwin
make
make check
make install

# note: compilation fails if the directory name contains blank spaces.

export PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/usr/local/lib/pkgconfig
cd examples
make cpp
./add_person_cpp test.bin   # this works.

make java
-- javac AddPerson.java ListPeople.java com/example/tutorial/
AddressBookProtos.java
-- com/example/tutorial/AddressBookProtos.java:12: package
com.google.protobuf does not exist

cp -r ../java/src/main/java/com/* com/   # I shouldn't need to do
this. i guess that the makefile should include the classpath.
make java
-- javac AddPerson.java ListPeople.java com/example/tutorial/
AddressBookProtos.java
-- ./com/google/protobuf/Descriptors.java:33: package
com.google.protobuf.DescriptorProtos does not exist

find .. -iname "*DescriptorProtos*"
-- nothing, this file does not exist.

Where should I get this class from
com.google.protobuf.DescriptorProtos?