I might be wrong but I thing that protobuf does not implement any networking at all. Think about it as a framework for extend-able in time custom protocols implementation. It can serialize and deserialize objects by predefined by you structure. That's all.

Of course, protobuf can be used for networking. Talking about networking do not limit us to certain platform. Protobuf is what you need to prepare the objects to be transmitted and later on rebuild them on the other side of the wire but the networking implementation itself is delegated to you.

I think this is the main implementation ever meant.