Protocol buffer is meant only for serialization & de-serialization. I
believe for file attachment you need to have some other implementation
such as web services (SAAJ) or http mime attachment. And as Smith said
protocol buffer doesn't provide any built in encryption and if you
need one, you need to add on top of protocol buffer layer. I had
similar conversation before on encryption and may be this is useful
for you.

http://groups.google.com/group/protobuf/browse_thread/thread/16a83a5910d62acf

Regards,
Prakash