On Wed, Nov 10, 2010 at 3:21 AM, Kalki70 <kalki...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Maybe the ASN.1 compiler that you used used too many memory
> allocations or was not too fast. There are some very good, like from
> OSS Novalka.

I've used both OSS Nokalva's ASN.1 to Java compiler and protobuf in
anger. protobuf is at least as fast, provides a better API (especially
if you want to do any reflection), and is less buggy than OSS's
product. Being able to build protobuf from source makes our build
process a lot simpler, too.

We actually use both in our system - OSS when we must talk ASN.1 in
external protocols, and protobuf for our internal protocols where we
are not implementing to an external specification.

I think that protobuf's simplicity is a large part of why its
implementation is better than the various ASN.1 products out there.
ASN.1 seems to be the Ada of protocol description languages, really..

Oliver