FWIW I'm seeing ~12x and ~7x speed-ups on serialization and parsing,
respectively, for messages in our app (which are ~10KB serialized) -
not too shabby!

$ python sandbox/pbbench.py out.ini # time in seconds per msg serialization
ser: 0.000434461673101
parse: 0.000602062404156

$ PROTOCOL_BUFFERS_PYTHON_IMPLEMENTATION=cpp python sandbox/pbbench.py out.ini
ser: 2.86788344383e-05
parse: 7.63910810153e-05

Yang

On Wed, Dec 1, 2010 at 12:07 PM, Yang Zhang <yanghates...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks Kenton, we'll take a look. Out of curiosity, any ETA on 2.4.0?
>
> On Wed, Dec 1, 2010 at 12:04 PM, Kenton Varda <ken...@google.com> wrote:
>> Protobuf 2.4.0 will include an implementation of the Python API that is
>> backed by C++ objects.  The interface is identical to the existing Python
>> API, and you can wrap it around existing C++ objects or have it construct
>> its own.
>> This code is already is SVN.  Unfortunately the team is someone backlogged
>> and we haven't been able to make a lot of progress on an official release.
>>  But it should be a lot easier to get the SVN code working than to write
>> your own.  :)
>> On Tue, Nov 30, 2010 at 11:22 PM, Yang Zhang <yanghates...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Has anyone written (a tool for generating) Python wrappers around the
>>> C++ generated code and is willing to share this? I'm looking to do the
>>> same, so this would save me a bit of research time. (It's fine if it's
>>> not a general tool and this is specific to some schema.) Thanks!
>>>
>>> --

Yang Zhang
http://yz.mit.edu/