Cool.  Serialization and parsing themselves should actually be improved even
more than that, but having other Python code around it waters down the
numbers.  :)  Also, note that if you explicitly compile C++ versions of your
messages and link them into the process, they'll be even faster.  (If you
don't, the library falls back to DynamicMessage which is not as fast as
generated code.)

As for when 2.4.0 might be released, it's hard to say.  There's a lot of
work to do, and we have a new person doing this release so he has to learn
the process.  Also, holidays are coming up.  So, I'd guess it will be ready
sometime in January.