Hello,

I recently started to use GPB, great software! :)

But I have noticed in java that it is impossible to create a message
containing a "bytes" fields without copying some buffers around. For
example if I have a encoded message of 1MB with a few regular fields
and one big bytes field, decoding the message will make a copy of the
entire buffer instead of keeping a reference to it.

Even worse when encoding: if I read some data from file, does not seem
possible to put it directly into a ByteString so I have to make first
a byte[], then copy it into the ByteString and when encoding, it makes
yet another byte[].

So my question: is it possible to make an exception from the
immutability for the "bytes" fields and use java.nio.ByteBuffers
instead of ByteStrings?

thanks,
nicolae