I tested the release on MSVC 2005 and FreeBSD.  Both worked fine.

I also tested this on my home machine running stock Ubuntu 10.10, and I got
the same error we've been seeing on our corp workstations.  Thus it seems
this problem is not an issue with our corp setup as I had initially thought.
 Instead, it's either an Ubuntu thing or a Python 2.6 thing...

$ python setup.py test

This script requires setuptools version 0.6c9 to run (even to display
help).  I will attempt to download it for you (from
http://pypi.python.org/packages/2.6/s/setuptools/), but
you may need to enable firewall access for this script first.
I will start the download in 15 seconds.

(Note: if this machine does not have network access, please obtain the file

http://pypi.python.org/packages/2.6/s/setuptools/setuptools-0.6c9-py2.6.egg

and place it in this directory before rerunning this script.)
Downloading
http://pypi.python.org/packages/2.6/s/setuptools/setuptools-0.6c9-py2.6.egg
Generating google/protobuf/descriptor_pb2.py...
Generating google/protobuf/compiler/plugin_pb2.py...
/usr/lib/python2.6/distutils/dist.py:266: UserWarning: Unknown distribution
option: 'namespace_packages'
  warnings.warn(msg)
/usr/lib/python2.6/distutils/dist.py:266: UserWarning: Unknown distribution
option: 'test_suite'
  warnings.warn(msg)
usage: setup.py [global_opts] cmd1 [cmd1_opts] [cmd2 [cmd2_opts] ...]
   or: setup.py --help [cmd1 cmd2 ...]
   or: setup.py --help-commands
   or: setup.py cmd --help

error: invalid command 'test'