The *_generic_services options now default to false.  You must explicitly
set them to true, e.g.:

  option cc_generic_services = true;
  option java_generic_services = true;
  option py_generic_services = true;

We decided to make these off-by-default because we want to encourage RPC
implementations to provide their own code generator plugins that generate
code appropriate for that implementation, rather than relying on protoc's
least-common-denominator generic code.

The documentation has not been updated for 2.4.0 yet.