How come? I explicitly track the larges message written to the file
with: http://goo.gl/SAKlU

Here is an example of output I get:

[1 ProtoBuf git.hist]$ ./bin/write data.pb && echo "---===---" && ./bin/read
data.pb
Saved: 100040 events
Largest message size writte: 1815 bytes
---===---
File has: 100040 events
libprotobuf WARNING google/protobuf/io/coded_stream.cc:478] Reading
dangerously large protocol message.  If the message turns out to be larger
than 67108864 bytes, parsing will be halted for security reasons.  To
increase the limit (or to disable these warnings), see
CodedInputStream::SetTotalBytesLimit() in google/protobuf/io/coded_stream.h.
libprotobuf ERROR google/protobuf/io/coded_stream.cc:147] A protocol message
was rejected because it was too big (more than 67108864 bytes).  To increase
the limit (or to disable these warnings), see
CodedInputStream::SetTotalBytesLimit() in google/protobuf/io/coded_stream.h.
libprotobuf ERROR google/protobuf/io/coded_stream.cc:147] A protocol message
was rejected because it was too big (more than 67108864 bytes).  To increase
the limit (or to disable these warnings), see
CodedInputStream::SetTotalBytesLimit() in google/protobuf/io/coded_stream.h.
Read: 86209 events
Largest message read: 1815 bytes
[1 ProtoBuf git.hist]$

As you may see the largest message is only 1815 bytes (!). But due to the
above error I can not read the rest of the messages.

It does not make sense.