Can you not control the number of messages?

In any event, I think the problem is the memory lifetime of the streambuf.
>From the docs on async_write:

A basic_streambuf object from which data will be written. Ownership of the
streambuf is retained by the caller, which must guarantee that it remains
valid until the handler is called.