We are wondering if the serialized data format used by Protocol
Buffers is standardized or in some way set in stone? In other words,
should we have any expectation that it will change in the future and
we won't be able to read the serialized data back into a Message
class?

For example, we receive protobuf messages and archive them to disk in
their serialized format using
google::protobuf::Message::SerializeToFileDescriptor() or
SerializeToOstream() and later, maybe 5 years from now using a newer
version of Protocol Buffers, try to read them back using
google::protobuf::Message::ParseFromFileDescriptor() or
ParseFromIstream(). Can I expect this to work?

I could not find any mention about this on the Protobuf website or by
Googling, but perhaps I missed it. Any links to any official
documentation saying either yes or no would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks and regards,
    John