On Fri, Jul 15, 2011 at 08:19, jl <jlaben...@gmail.com> wrote:
> We are wondering if the serialized data format used by Protocol
> Buffers is standardized or in some way set in stone? In other words,
> should we have any expectation that it will change in the future and
> we won't be able to read the serialized data back into a Message
> class?
>
> For example, we receive protobuf messages and archive them to disk in
> their serialized format using
> google::protobuf::Message::SerializeToFileDescriptor() or
> SerializeToOstream() and later, maybe 5 years from now using a newer
> version of Protocol Buffers, try to read them back using
> google::protobuf::Message::ParseFromFileDescriptor() or
> ParseFromIstream(). Can I expect this to work?
>
> I could not find any mention about this on the Protobuf website or by
> Googling, but perhaps I missed it. Any links to any official
> documentation saying either yes or no would be greatly appreciated.

Almost everything that Google stores on disk is in protocol buffer
format. That would be a huge legacy to abandon with an incompatible
protocol buffer change.
So, even though there is no official 'standard document' (yet?), you
can bet on the fact that stuff written now will be readable in 5 or 20
years from now (if your storage medium survives it :) ).

-h