Owner: liuj...@google.com
Labels: Type-Defect Priority-Medium

New issue 330 by christop...@gmail.com: add the possiblity to choose TextFormat default printer in java

Hi,

I'm using slf4j to log protobuf messages.
Slf4j don't build log string if the level is not appropriate (thanks to the message pattern that use placeholder):

logger.debug("blabla {} blabla", myProtobyMessage);

But I want a single line log so I'm using TextFormat.shortDebugString(). In this case, the protobuf string is build anytime, so I'm obliged to add a condition on the log level:

if (logger.isDebugEnabled()) {
   logger.debug("blabla {} blabla",
       TextFormat.shortDebugString(myProtobyMessage));
}

Should it be possible to define the default printer when we call a MyProtobufMessage.toString()?

Thanks