Thanks for your reply! I have found a bug in my software.

I didn't know that string field of a message considered as already
created by protobuf code if it points not to default string,
set_<fieldname>() method first compares those pointers and only calls
'new' if they are different. Next, I passed a message created in one
DLL into another DLL. Those DLL are assembled with individual
instances of proto lib, so addresses of default string instances were
different in the context of different DLLs. Second DLL called
set_<fieldname>() method actually not creating it (and destroying
default string in the memory of first DLL of course). Then, I had a
number of subsequences of this bug... I am wondering why IsSet()
(bitmask that indicates what fields are set) is not used in the
set_<fieldname>()  code instead of comparing address with address of
default string, but anyway now I understand that I must not try to
access deserialized message created in the context of a different
instance of prtotolib...

But now I have a different problem and I will really appreciate it if
could put some light on it. I am now trying to use unknown fields to
extend a message with a fields that are not known by the code that
created that message. Yes I remember about tag numbers so I am adding
new fields with tags 1000, 1001... (original message is created with
about 5 fields with tags 1-5). Then message is serialized, sent over a
network and received by another process. The receiver process knows
type of this message (it was compiled with same .proto file).

After deserialization (I am using msg-ParseFromString()) only fields
declared in proto get assigned in new message, but unknown_fields set
is empty. Isn't ParseFromString() supposed to read all fields from the
string including unknown?