hmm..

By "wrapping C++ compiled protobufs"  I'm assuming that the protocol
buffers in transit are serialized as protobufs... so the C++ is a non-
issue (unless you mean some bizarre struct-based comms are going on...
in which case good luck ;-)

If you're in a web server environment you're probably better off
generating the java code as it will perform better and be easier to
interact with than dynamic protobufs code.  If you have program size
constraints then dynamic is certainly the best way to keep code size
down as long as you're willing to deal with the increased complexity
(for you).

I use dynamic protobufs as I'm often working in an environment where I
don't always know what protocol buffers I will be using until run time
- at which point the FileDescriptorSet can be used to work with any
protobufs.  For instance, this is useful when developing tooling for
Domain Specific Languages in the Eclipse IDE that are based on
protocol buffers.  As it is somewhat difficult and clumsy to do class
excellent way to get generic access to any proto file being used.

If you do get stuck working with protobufs the purely dynamic way -
feel free to post here anytime.  The dynamic usage is poorly
documented and there are various 'land mines' I've run into through my
usage - I would be happy to save you the same trouble.