Can anyone recommend a version of Visual C++ Express that I can use to
reliably build and follow the example tutorial from the perspective of
being a complete newbie?

Tried current Visual C++ Express 2010 - Requires conversion -then
Source doesn't compile - generates errors
Tried Visual C++ Express 2008  - Still requires conversion but does
build but when you get to the step in README.txt asking you to run
test.exe 3 of the tests failed.

(Now I haven't modified anything I'm just following the basic
tutorial)

Is there a "Happy Path" to this where I can download a particular
Visual C++, it will all work and then I can start breaking it?

Many Thanks Experts!