I've made an attempt to create a Python3 compatible version of protobufs.
 I have some code that passes pretty much all the unit tests which I've
posted here:

https://github.com/openx/python3-protobuf

I probably won't have a chance to look at this again for a couple weeks if
not longer, so I want to get it out there.  In my attempt I decided to
follow the advice in another post, and treat python3 as a new language.  To
get python3 working, you'll have to compile the C code.  There are also a
few issues I ran into along the way:

   - I decided to use strings where unicode is used in Python 2.  I was
   originally going to try to use bytes/bytearrays, but they do not support >8
   bit characters, and some of the setup.py tests use "exotic" 16 bit chrs.
   (Warning: I might have something conceptually wrong here)
   - There are places where byte data is stored as strings, then converted
   to unicode.  I ended up converting strings (I called them bytestr's) to
   normal strings.  I'm not sure this is done correctly everywhere though.
   - Data is packed/unpacked using struct.pack/unpack which is done using
   bytes instead of strings in Python3.  I have simple string_to_bytes() and
   bytes_to_string() functions to do this.

What's left is:

   - There are a couple Exceptions that I don't throw.  They are supposed
   to be where the Python2 code converts from unicode strings to regular
   strings.  I am definitely missing something conceptually here - I haven't
   figured out how Python 2x supports strings with "exotic" characters, but
   not strings like u'a\x80a'.  If someone can solve this problem & figure out
   when to throw the exceptions Python3 will be *fully* working.

I might have small bits of time here or there but I don't think I can
devote the time I need to get this finished for several weeks, so if
someone wants to finish this up, feel free to fork this code.  If anyone
wants to see what I did, the best way to do this is to diff between the
latest commit and commit 49ccf5d8b3b688c335dc35bcb9f219eca78c7210.
Thanks!
Charles