Owner: liuj...@google.com
Labels: Type-Defect Priority-Medium

New issue 432 by jsill...@gmail.com: descriptor.proto should be bundled in the Jar distribution of the protobuf library

What steps will reproduce the problem?
1. Download or compile the Java protobuf library Jar package
2. Run "jar tf protobuf.jar"
3. Observe that descriptor.proto is not packaged in the Jar file

The plugin for integrating protobufs into a Maven build has a nice feature where it unpacks .proto files from dependent Jar files and automatically adds them to its protoc's --proto_path invocation. This allows Java projects to bundle and "publicize" .proto definitions for use by others. I'm currently working on a library that handles transforms between JSON content and protobuf objects, and I have a need to define messages that contain DescriptorProto fields. Having descriptor.proto included in the official Jar file would eliminate the need to copy the .proto source into my own project.

Protobuf 2.4.1, Maven 3.0.3

This is easy to accomplish by adding the following bits of configuration to the pom.xml:

      <plugin>
        <artifactId>maven-resources-plugin</artifactId>
        <version>2.6</version>
        <executions>
          <execution>
            <id>copy-resources</id>
            <phase>validate</phase>
            <goals>
              <goal>copy-resources</goal>
            </goals>
            <configuration>
<outputDirectory>${basedir}/src/main/resources</outputDirectory>
              <resources>
                <resource>
                  <directory>../src/google/protobuf/</directory>
                  <includes>
                    <include>descriptor.proto</include>
                  </includes>
                </resource>